Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Moving sucks, Part II

OK, in case there's anyone out there who cares, I apologize for not posting in so long. Life just gets in the way, sometimes. Besides, nothing really interesting happens to country housewives. Well, occasionally it's interesting, but usually, pretty boring.

We never even really got unpacked from the last move, and we've just moved again, this time to a town of about 1300 people, which is less than the population of my son's middle school in Houston. It's quite a culture shock. The closest grocery store is about 25 miles away. We still haven't gotten the dishes and stuff unpacked, so we've been eating a lot of McDonald's and Dairy Queen (the two choices in town) lately. Everyone in the house is getting too fat for their clothes, yours truly included. But we're in a much nicer house, still close enough to school for my kid to walk there.

We finally sold our place in Houston, and used the proceeds to pay off all of our debts. It feels so good not to owe anyone any money. It's like getting out of jail. Seriously, if you are in debt, you're a slave. Hell, that's probably why they call it Mastercard. We've cancelled all but one card, and we pay that one off every month now. It feels great! We're renting now, so no mortgage either. No bills at all, except for utilities. It's just super.

The move itself was a real chore. Hubby got promoted and transferred to a funeral home about 30 miles from our house, so the company paid to move us. They waited until the absolute last minute to get all the moving stuff approved. I got the word on a Wednesday that the movers would be there to pack on Thursday, but they got us moved into the new house in time for the boy to start school on Monday morning. We still have boxes everywhere, but the DSL is up and running. Sad isn't it? Getting my DSL connection running was a greater priority than locating our clothing. We've all been sharing the same skanky bath towel since Saturday, but we can get the internet, so we're happy.

Small town life is so strange to me. Take the post office, for example. In Houston, going to the p0st office ranks right up there with getting a root canal, and forget about calling them for anything. Here, I called the PO after hours, hoping to get a recording that would let me know their location and hours, since I hadn't received my mail. Instead, I got a person who was working late, gave her my address, and she brought me my mail on her way home from work, since she lives right around the corner. Everyone knows who we are, since my hubby's the only funeral director for two towns and the surrounding area. It's pretty cool, but the downside is that we always have to be on our best behavior in town. No running to the liquor store in my "Fuck you" t-shirt and no bra, I guess.

This is getting to be a bit rambly, thanks to Xanax, Vicodin, Benadryl and Jim Beam Black (don't ask), so I'll go for now. I'll try to update in a few days with everything that's been going on for the last few months. One parting bit of advice. If you are out of whiskey sour mix, don't be tempted to mix Jim Beam Black with iced tea - it's a really horrible drink. If you really need the whiskey, just do shots until you can get to the store for mixer. Trust me on this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

Small town life isn't so bad... My town's about 10x the size of yours, but we live way far outta town so it's still a decent haul to get to the store. The bit about the post office is cool... I like being on a first-name basis with our mail carrier... even the garbage collector. When was the last time you actually had a conversation with the garbage guy??

8/16/2006 11:03 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

hey wait... you actually got DSL? That's good, right? :)

8/16/2006 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home