Monday, March 20, 2006

Moving sucks

I can't believe how much it sucks. I meant to post something the night before we moved, and didn't get around to it til now. We moved last Thursday. The truck the moving company sent wasn't big enough, but I was lucky enough to have a friend around who could drive a UHaul with the stuff that didn't fit in the big truck. I had a lot more boxes than we first estimated when ordering the truck.

Anyway, we got everything loaded into two trucks, and I packed two dogs (one dog was already with hubby) and the kid in the car. We had a two hour drive, and the UHaul and I got there about the same time. The moving guys called from a gas station needing directions to the house, and I told them to wait there and they could follow me to the house. So, I left the kid at the house, and my friend and I got in the car to go find the movers. Just as pulled away from the curb, my German Shepherd took a huge shit on the back seat, which made my friend start puking out the window. And then the movers weren't at the gas station - they called again, they were at the house.

So I wasn't in the house when they started unloading - I was outside cleaning dog shit off the leather seats and seat belt in my car. I shouldn't have bothered labelling the boxes - the movers just put them anywhere. I got inside in time to get most of the furniture in the right rooms, but there are boxes everywhere. The only room that is fully functional right now is the laundry room. Oh, and the dog kennels are setup. I can't find anything.

I didn't notice until the night we moved in that none of the electrical outlets in the kitchen or bedrooms are grounded. So, no computer, no freezer, no microwave. I did manage to run an extension cord from a grounded outlet in another room, so I got the computer running (Time Warner wouldn't set up my modem without it, of course). The landlord is supposed to send someone over tomorrow to install some grounded outlets. And to add an outlet to the bathroom - there's no electricity in there now.

The phone company came out the day after we moved to hook up my phone, and that's when I found out that the house isn't even wired for phones. There are jacks, and there might be wires in the attic or under the house (where Verizon won't go), but every wire on the exterior of the house was removed when it was remodeled. So we have one working phone jack, via a cord coming in through a window. The guy adding the outlets is supposed to hook up a few phone jacks, too.

I had to go back to the old neighborhood today to wrap up a few things, and I *thought* to get the house ready for the painters that would be coming next week. However, when I got there, the painters had been at work for hours. That meant that the tile guy couldn't start working today, and the tub/counter refinishers might not be able to start until the tile guy is done. He might get done in time - the refinishers are supposed to start on Thursday. I totally was not expecting the painters today, and while their early arrival saved me a lot of unnecessary work, they threw off my schedule completely. The tile guy left without doing anything. The oven & microwave installers had to do all their work with painters underfoot.

I had some guys in hauling off our old junk, too, everything the charity wouldn't take before we moved. While they were taking the old refrigerator out, they forgot to disconnect the ice maker. So water sprayed everywhere, which made one of the junk guys jump, slip and fall into a freshly textured wall. He got wet texture all over his uniform and in his hair. That was sort of funny, but I felt sorry for him, too. I know his partner was giving him shit about it, and the painter who had to redo the wall was cussing in Spanish the whole time he worked. I'm not sure what he was saying, but you could tell it was cussing. Vigorous cussing - I'm sure it made baby Jesus cry.

And did I mention that while all this was going on, I was restoring some ceramic tile in the entry, scrubbing at the old grout with some sort of stinky acid that has totally dried out my hands - I should have kept the gloves on, but they kept getting in the way. Anyway, the tile looks great and once it was done, I picked up the kid's paperwork at school. I got the junk hauled off and the appliances installed. I returned the cable boxes and modem. I did some shopping. It was one helluva busy day, and even after a bath, I still feel sore and itchy. Moving sucks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

It gets better. Hell, we've been at our new place for nearly a year, and I'm *still* looking for stuff. The upside is that when I *do* find it, it's like xmas!

On a completely unrelated not, my CAPTCHA word verification code thingy for this comment is "ooufgy", which kinda describes how I feel when the dog steps on my balls.

3/23/2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Rob In China said...

Moving does suck. I used to move everything by myself, but now I just hire movers. It is so worth the money. Except, the last time I moved, they broke my dresser mirror, and offered no insurance to cover it. Be aware, glass is not covered by most movers. I should have known. I like to move when the place I am moving to offers something better. The last move was because of the loser tenants upstairs, and where I am now is a lot more quiet.

4/11/2006 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home