Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Bi-polar? I don't think so!

I never really accepted the bi-polar diagnosis, and finally got fed up with all the pills and their side effects. I've always tended to be depressed, and both times I tried SSRI's, they made me worse instead of better. I've tried Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Effexor, and I don't even remember how many others. I had side effects ranging from sleeping 14 hours a day to paranoia and finally the bi-polar diagnosis. Since I weaned off all the meds, I've been doing great, just my usual vaguely depressed self, no mania at all. If I was really bi-polar, I think I would have had some sort of meltdown off meds, instead of only when on meds. I really think it's the SSRI's that made me crazy (Luvox had me thinking people were following me to work and that my hubby was poisoning my food!).

I've had a lot of stomach trouble, especially since I had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago, and one of the meds they prescribed for nausea is one of the old tricyclics, Elavil. You know what? I've never felt better in my entire life! I go to sleep early, I wake up before the clock goes off, I'm not manic, I'm not depressed, I've lost weight - it's great. I'm still bitchy & all, but that's just me. The stomach doctor wants to talk about getting off some of the pills in two months - there's no way I'm going to let him take away my Elavil! The only side effect has been occasionally leaky nipples (gross), but I was getting that from all the psych meds I was taking before. Other than that, it's been just great.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

Ahem. TMI!!!!! :-D

heeey... my captcha is pronouncable! "Flrrv"!


mmmm... flrrvy...

10/26/2005 11:57 PM  
Blogger Radin said...

That is good news.

10/29/2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger ariadneK, Ph.D. said...

Yes, good for you for sorting out the med mess!!!!! I'm happy for you...

I tried paring down to only Lamictal, and THAT was a disaster. :-/

11/08/2005 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home